During a recent long-weekend-getaway I read most of Jeremy Blum’s Exploring Arduino: Tools and Techniques for Engineering Wizardry, which inspired me to design a smarter boxing glove dryer. I started the dryer the day after we returned (I was a bit excited) and am still working on it.
I now have a working mockup but have a couple of issues to work through still.
First the changes since the first post:
I also have most of the project files organized at GitHub for anyone curious about the technical nitty-gritty.
My initial testing was just with exhaust; a blower at the top of a PVC pipe inserted into the glove moving air out of the glove and pulling in drier air via a slight vacuum created. This already works better than the previous method of just leaving the gloves under a ceiling fan.
I had a small, temporary stand 3D-printed to hold the pipe up and it manages to hold the glove as well, so it works good enough for testing but its easily tipped over.
The next phase (after confirming the blowers are adequate) I connected the intake fan and wired it in parallel with the exhaust fan. I also had to reinforce the stand with the added weight of the intake fan + pipe, hence the ugly, taped piece of pipe across the bottom, seen in the top-left picture below.
In the first and last pictures below, you can see the glove humidity sensor just below the exhaust (top) blower. In the middle, top picture you can see the other sensor that reads the outside, room air. In the picture, it’s at the end of the long yellow wire—the sensor is the blue squre bit. I’m having problems with keeping the two sensors corelated/calibrated with each other. The DHT11 (outside sensor) often reads 10+ percentage points lower than the glove sensor (a Grove module utilizing a TH02 temperature and humidity sensor.
In the pictures below you can see the OLED in action. My phone has a hard time focusing well on the text. The display is only active after the button has been pushed. When the button is pushed, the OLED presents two screens; the first with the current humidity in the glove as well as the dryer’s mode; monitoring or drying. That’s more for debugging, as the fans running clearly indicate it’s drying. The second screen displays the highest relative humidity (RH) and the lowest recorded. I record the lowest so I can see how the RH bounces after the gloves are brought down to match the room’s RH (humid air rises and will get trapped in the upside-down glove). The second OLED screen also displays the amount of time the fans have run during the current cycle or last cycle if it has completed.